Holds 1, 2 and 3 are great to do together in sequence for overall physical maintenance. Holds 4, 5 and 6 done together are wonderful for clearing spirit (mental/emotional), mind (digestion/integration) and body (physical/detox). But each hold can be worked individually, or in combination with any of the others as needed.
Holding the inside of your knees helps bring energy down from above your waist. It also helps everything move – forward, on, down, etc. Therefore it helps with
- Digestive discomforts
- Sore throats and colds
- Breathing that is shallow
- Thoughts going round and round
- First aid for choking, hiccups, coughing fits
- All chronic conditions that are ‘stuck’
You can hold right hand to right inside knee, and left hand to left inside knee. Or you can cross your hands to help opposite upper body discomfort.
Holding the seat bones on both sides (e.g. sitting or lying on your hands, palm up or palm down, whichever is more comfortable) helps bring energy up from the feet to regenerate the body. It helps the whole system to quietly regenerate. It also aids with:
- Digestive discomforts when there is not enough energy to fuel digestive processes
- Helps spleen to balance appetite
- Metabolism – to harmonise over/underactivity
- Helps energise kidney, liver and spleen
- Fatigue – a quick pick-me-up
- Weight balance – helps body lose/put on weight as needed – recommended to hold for 20mins per day for 3 weeks.
- Exercise induced lactic acid build-up: hold for 10 mins after exercise to reduce lactic acid in body.
- Circulation and bowel regulation
- Helps bring consciousness ‘in’ after sleep, and prepare for mental alertness during the day: hold seat-bones for a few minutes before getting up for the day, especially if you feel groggy in the mornings.
Holding the outside of the knees, on the bone (head of fibula), helps bring energy up to take care of all pelvic functions: digestive, urinary, and reproductive.
- Aids in regulation of diarrhoea (right side)
- Aids in regulation of constipation (left side)
- Helps opposite ovary
- Helps muscle tension and muscle armouring throughout the body, especially if you wrap your fingers round the knee to include the centre back (medial posterior).
- Helps regulate body temperature (right side warms, left side cools)
- Helps metabolism, so it is good to combine this with holding the seat bones (see hold 2)
- Helps harmonise blood pressure
- Helps to bring rhythm, strength and peace by stabilising the pelvic girdle.
Holding the (front) upper ribcage, either side of the sternum, at the level of the third rib, helps drain energy down from head, neck and shoulders, and when energy flows openly through this area, it enables us to see the good in life and in people around us.
- Aids in bringing harmony and balance to all fertility and reproductive projects (menstruation, pre/during/post pregnancy, sexuality, male and female)
- Reduces tension in neck and shoulders
- Helps balance appetite
- Helps immune system, especially with chest congestion
- Helps endocrine system, and helps clear glandular fever
- Helps scar tissue clear, especially on reproductive organs, eg. ovaries
- Helps energise creative imagination and intelligence
Holding the (front) lower edge of the ribcage, either side below the sternum, along the lines of the 10th and 11th ribs, helps drain energy down from head, neck and shoulders and chest, and when energy flows openly through this diaphragm area, it enables clarity of thought, brain function, and understanding.
- Right side aids in proper digestion of protein
- Left side aids in proper digestion of carbohydrates
- Helps all digestive functions, including eating disorders
- Helps babies develop their digestion (hold with one hand over diaphragm/solar plexus and other hand under midback/kidneys to make a ‘baby sandwich’) and calms babies with reflux and other upset tummies.
- Helps sleep through supporting healthy digestion, e.g. insomnia, sleep apnea, snoring, sleep walking
- Helps ADD/ADHD – balances hyperactivity/hypoactivity and brain functions associated with learning difficulties.
- Helps us adapt to new situations, digest life,and integrate experiences
- Helps balance and co-ordination
Holding the inguinal ligament or groin on each side, between the hip bone and the pubic bone, helps cleanse and purify our whole system, mentally, emotionally and physically.
- Harmonises hips, abdomen, thighs, knees, legs, ankles and feet
- Helps circulation and vascular projects such as varicose veins
- Helps heal all injuries (hold groin and injury site to speed healing), including broken bones, sprains and strains
- Helps pre and post surgery, including clearing scar tissue
- Supports immune system by promoting clearing and elimination of toxins
- Promotes lymph flow and so aids swollen legs and feet
- Harmonises fluid balance in the body, and so aids kidneys
- Strengthens and warms the body and so is good for people who feel the cold
The Jin Shin Jyutsu information provided is intended to complement, not replace, the advice of your own physician or other healthcare professional, whom you should always consult about your individual needs and any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention and before starting or stopping any medication or starting any course of treatment, exercise regimen, or diet.